Sightseeing tour of Madrid (local guide)
A local guide will bring Madrid into focus. Pass through the Puerta del Sol, the geographical center of the city and a popular meeting point. Head into the Plaza Mayor, the Renaissance hub that witnessed everything from bullfights to weddings to public executions. Then it's on to the Plaza de Oriente, Madrid's largest square.Royal Palace
This massive palace was built by Bourbon King Phillip V and has more than 2,000 rooms. You’ll see a few of them, and you can’t help but be impressed by the marble staircase, the golden Throne Room and the priceless frescoes and chandeliers.Free time in Madrid (day)Top 5 free time suggestions:1. Bullfight
– Witness the classic, if bloody, Spanish sporting tradition (not for the faint of heart).2. Shopping on Gran Via
– This popular shopping avenue is a prime place to buy clothes, shoes, jewelry, and handcrafted goods from all over Spain.3. Parque del Buen Retiro
– Musicians, vendors and families fill this beautiful park; you can even rent a rowboat.4. Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza
– Check out one of the largest private art collections in the world.5. Alcalá de Henares
– Take a half-hour train ride to this scenic university town, birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes.
For more ideas and details, see our Lonely Planet city guide
for Madrid.Welcome dinner
Get to know the other travelers in your group over tonight's included dinner.