Optional trip to Versailles (extra cost)
Spend the afternoon at the over-the-top palace of Louis XIV. Not far from Paris, this is where French royalty reveled in their extravagant lifestyle in the decades before the Revolution. At one point, a thousand nobles were attended by 4,000 servants inside the palace, while 15,000 soldiers and servants lived in the annexes. Walk through the landscaped gardens, tour the State Apartments of the King and the Queen, and see the Hall of Mirrors.Free time in Paris (day) Top 5 free time suggestions:1. Musée d’Orsay
– This amazing museum is a runaway favorite for many. See masterpieces by Monet, Van Gogh, and many more.2. Champs-Elysées
– The famous boulevard is best known for its high-fashion shopping and unbeatable people-watching.3. Arc de Triomphe
– Built to commemorate Napoleon's Grande Armée, this famous arch has amazing views from the top.4. Père Lachaise Cemetery
– Pay your respects to many famous figures, including Marcel Proust and legendary Doors front man Jim Morrison.5. Montmartre
– This cool artists' haven at the top of a hill has amazing views and the unique Sacré Coeur church.
For more ideas and details, see our Lonely Planet city guide