Optional excursion to the Blue Mountains
Join a full-day excursion to the amazing Blue Mountains and Katoomba, named for the blue mist that rises from the area’s eucalyptus trees. Watch The Edge, Australia’s only giant-screen destination movie, which recounts how explorers conquered the Blue Mountains in 1813. While doing research for the film, scientists made an extremely rare botanical discovery: the Wollemi Pine Grove, made up of ancient pine trees not found anywhere else on Earth.Free time in Sydney
Top 5 free time suggestions:
1. Bondi Beach
– Sun, sand and surf are yours at Sydney’s number one beach.
2. Shopping on Pitt Street
– Browse the shops in this bustling commercial area; buy everything from music to clothing to perfume.
3. Centennial Park
– The city’s largest green space, this is a great place to picnic, take a walk, rollerblade, or even rent a horse for riding.
4. Australian Centre for Photography
– Photo lovers will enjoy the exhibits here; there’s a special wall dedicated to up-and-comers.
5. Luna Park
– This colorful old-fashioned amusement park opened in 1935.
For more ideas and details, see our Lonely Planet city guide