Optional Medieval Toledo (extra cost)
Toledo is a stunning cliff top medieval fortified city. It is often referred to as La Ciudad Imperial (Imperial City) since it once was the capital of Spain. Check out the city's massive Gothic cathedral, which is home to 750 medieval stained glass windows and a treasure trove of golden artifacts. Explore the labyrinth of medieval alleyways at the heart of the city, and then visit the Santo Tome Church and one of Europe’s oldest synagogues, Santa Maria la Blanca.Free day in MadridTop 5 free time suggestions:1. Bullfight
– Witness the classic, if bloody, Spanish sporting tradition (not for the faint of heart).2. Shopping on Gran Via
– This popular shopping avenue is a prime place to buy clothes, shoes, jewelry, and handcrafted goods from all over Spain.3. Parque del Buen Retiro
– Musicians, vendors and families fill this beautiful park; you can even rent a rowboat.4. Prado Museum
– The world-class museum is home to famous works of art collected by the Spanish monarchy. Entrance is free with your student ID.5. Alcalá de Henares
– Take a half-hour train ride to this scenic university town, birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes.
For more ideas and details, see our Lonely Planet city guide
for Madrid.Farewell dinner
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.